Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I will always remember

July 9th means that it has been 2 years since my dad passed away. I think, and cry, about my dad everyday. I think about how it's not fair that he is gone and that he is missing so much. I wish that my kids could have known my dad and that he could have taken them out to herd cows. I know that my dad is watching over us from heaven, but it is still SO hard to have him gone.

My dad was the most fun dad ever. He used to brand everything. He was so proud to carry on the rafter J brand. He would mark his brand in the rocking horses, the camping chairs, every tree up East Mountain, his horse trailer.....I mean EVERYTHING. It was kind of ridiculous.

When it was time to pick out my dad's casket, it seemed like nothing fit because my dad wanted to be buried in a pine box at the farm. While we searched around the room, there it was..... a real pine box. It fit my dad to a T. After the viewing we were all sitting around reminiscing when my dad's brothers had the bright idea to brand my dad's pine casket. We went to the farm, got the branding iron and we did it. It was such a great moment. It sounds really redneck, but it was amazing. My dad wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Sorry that we couldn't put you at the farm dad, but every time we are there, we think of you and miss you so much! We will always remember you and I promise to pass your stories and adventures on to Kade and Tyce.
Love,
Your little buckaroo's

6 comments:

AngiDe said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad. I'm sure he is up in heaven looking down on you and your sweet boys.

XO

Grant and Candice said...

That is one of the neatest stories I have ever heard. It made me cry. Sounds like you had a wonderful dad!

The Bunnell's said...

What a wonderful tribute to your wonderful Dad. You are a great mom to make sure your boys will know what a great man your dad was.

Melissa said...

Hey Jana, This is Melissa Anderson that is the nicest thing to write about your dad. I'm so sorry that you lost him. I think that's the best thing about his casket. We did the exact same thing when we went to pick out my dad's casket. It just fit so perfectly. Funny but we also talked about branding his but the mortuary guy was to scared that it would start on fire. So they used some vinyl lettering instead...Not nearly as cool as the actual burn So good job in getting to do that.

things we love... said...

Oh Jana, that is a beautiful tribute! You are such an amazing daughter to your dad and a amazing wife and mommy!!!

Anthony and Christel said...

Jana, that is really beautiful. I know your dad is there with you guys, and loves and misses all of you.