Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hard Day

My Dad and his favorite horse Chino
Today, July 9th, has been a really hard day for me. A year ago today I watched my dad pass away. I miss him so much and I wish that he was still here to watch my boys grow. He would be so proud of them.
I decided to write some of my favorite memories that I have of my dad:
#1. My dad was the BEST rodeo announcer in the state of Utah. My dad would go all over announcing rodeo's, and he was SO good at it. The best is when he would announce the local rodeo. Everyone enjoyed listening to my dad up there in the announcers booth, and I was always so proud to be his daughter. Right in the middle of the rodeo, my dad would say "Jasa and Jana, go get me a pepsi" and we thought that we were so cool.

#2. Dancing with my dad was always a treat. After all of the rodeo's my dad would head over to the pavillion and dance the night away. We had a blast dancing with him. He had his own way of dancing, and man was it fun! He would swing us around and we would just laugh. Everyone stopped to watch Jay and his girls dance.

#3. Riding horses with my dad was so much fun. We rode a lot!! Every Saturday my dad would sit out in his truck at 6:00am and honk the horn...that meant that we had 10 minutes to scarf our ceral and gather up our saddles. We would ride all day long in either the scortching heat, or the freezing cold....but we always had a good time. The entire time that we would ride, my dad would tell us the greatest stories about when he was young and would ride bulls and saddle bronc. He also told us about the days when him and "Butch Cassidy" would hang out. The cool thing is that he probably really hanging out with him now.
#4. Swimming at hidden holes. We spent a lot of time camping near our cows so that we could move them around. Well, there was this one spot called Hidden Holes that we would always stop at to swim and cool off. No one else has ever been there before because it is really hard to find. While all of us girls were being chicken livers, my dad would jump right in the San Rafael river with is wranglers on and all. He was always the first one in. He was SO much fun to be around and he was always laughing.

#5. My dad was a very hard worker. He worked construction for most of his life. Every so often, we would go out to his work site and he would take us around on the big equipment. He used to think that we were so cool riding up on the big water truck with my dad. He was also so proud to show us off. My dad had no boys, so he made us work hard and he was proud to prove to everyone that his girls were tougher that any boy.
I have so many more great memories of my dad. He was so much fun and he loved us girls. I miss him everyday and I can't wait until I can see him again.


5 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

I know exactly how you feel today, it's hard to think about what you were doing on that day. You know exactly where you were, and what you were thinking. I'm sure you feel him, but I know that he is definitely around you and your family.

Mindy said...

That was a really sweet post Jana. Im so sorry you have to go through all of the memories again. Im glad you have such a great family so close by!

Natasha said...

You brought tears to my eyes. It is such a great idea to remember that hard day with such great memories. I never knew your dad. I only met him at your wedding reception, but by knowing you I trust that he was a great man because of all he taught you. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet Jana! I didn't know your dad but what I hear about him he was a great man. He had to have been great to have raised such an awesome daughter. It is good to have day's like this to reflect on the wonderful things he did and the wonderful dad he was. Your boys will always have them in their hearts because of your memories.

The Cox Family said...

I am a little late, but I really enjoyed your post. I learned a few things about your dad that I didn't know before and enjoyed reading all of your great memories with him!